Saturday, May 22, 2010

We Are Adopting a 100-year Heritage

There is an old sepia picture hanging in the living room of the house that shows three generations of the original settlers. Indeed, the current owners are direct decendents of those same Germans who staked their future in Texas. The original homestead likely covered a hundred acres or more but was subsequently divided among the heirs as their forebears passed on to that great big dude ranch in the sky. And so the plots got smaller and smaller.

We spent a whole day there yesterday meeting with our architects, a local builder, the land surveyors and a farm insurance company. So I walked the site again for the first time since we signed the contract, this time in full knowledge that this little piece of God's country was going to be ours in about three weeks time. And I just loved the feeling. Home from college, one of our doubting sons came along with us. We think he has now converted to our vision, which is just as well. It could be his one day.
                 
I am excited about expanding my woodworking space. I really need it to be able to produce top-quality work. I walked through the old barn and can picture how it's going to look, re-built and re-purposed. The builder reminded me that the floor boards, protected from the elements by a 100-year old covering of dirt, hay and general rubbish, may produce some fine lumber that could be used in the house. I must buy myself a pair of boots. No! no! no! -- not so that I can take on the Texan persona but so that I can walk around without the fear of been bitten by a sleeping Copperhead or Water Moccasin. And yes I need a pick-up truck. Hardly seems right pulling into this place in a red Audi A4 that barely clears the ground.

The builder reminds us that this must be "our" place. We agree. We know that our architects, so full of talent and vision, are going to come up with some great ideas. We can hardly wait to see them. But I know the hardest part is going to be deciding between stunning features vs what's going to work for us. And see, I wrote an entire blog without once referring to our budget. Ikea cabinets anyone? Damn. There I go again.
                                                 



              






                                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment