Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Houston Time vs Brenham Time

On learning about our decision to move to the country, people react in one of two ways. There are those who are genuinely pleased for us, and those who frown and say something like, "Why the hell are you doing that!" or "That's gonna be a lot of work you know!" Like we'd never given this move more than a moments thought. As for the work, well all I can say is beware of invitations to outside BBQ's in the country or weekend trips "to see the property". There, I've said it and you have been suitably warned.

Ok, so while I'm warning people let's get something else cleared up. This is neither a ranch nor a farm. In practical terms it is too small to be either. We don't intend to keep cows, sheep, horses, pigs or goats. My partner has these occasional visions of keeping a coop full of hens and a pond full of ducks, but I hardly think this qualifies it as a farm. And other than a lot of grass, we won't be growing anything outside of a vegetable garden. I know it's popular to have a "ranch" or an "old farm" in the country but I think that's pretentious. We'll call it what it is, a homestead.    

In our pre-closing activities we are noticing two things about the country. One, people are - as they say here in Texas - mighty friendly. And two, things happen on a different time scale. And by time scale I am talking about much, much slower. We are having to learn that things don't move at Houston speeds up there and that, I think, is good. Although those that know me well can appreciate that this pace doesn't sit well with my impatience. I'll try and learn, I promise.

                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment